REMINDER: From 19th July face coverings must still be worn when entering healthcare settings. Thank you for helping to protect our most vulnerable patients and staff

GP Appointments 

In line with government guidance, our appointment system has changed. Anyone who needs advice or treatment from a GP will be offered an online eConsult or telephone consultation in the first instance. The GP will be able to assess, diagnose, manage, advise, prescribe and refer as normal. Following assessment if the GP feels a face to face review is needed then this will be arranged too.

For non-urgent medical problems, you may also wish to use e-consult which is available through our website. You can use this service for a range of queries including the requesting of sick notes and non-urgent medical advice. 

Please use the following service if you have to stay at home because of coronavirus and you need a note for your employer.

If you have to stay at home but feel well enough to work, ask your employer if you can work from home. If you can work from home, you will not need an isolation note.


When making an appointment with the GP, you might want to consider if there are any other options first. Read this guide on when to see your GP, and have a look at our guidance on self care  and minor illness 

Also don’t forget that there are other community health professionals who might be able to help with your problem, so your GP is not the only port of call!

Your local pharmacist is able to diagnose and treat many minor medical problems, and they will also be able to point you in the right direction if you need further help.

Read this guide to see what your local pharmacist can help you with.

Simple painkillers like paracetamol and ibuprofen (including liquid for children) can be cheaply bought from the pharmacy without a prescription, without a need to see a doctor

If you have a non urgent eye problem, your local optometrist can also assess, diagnose and manage this, and point you in the right direction if you need further help

If you have a dental problem, going to see your GP often only delays getting the correct treatment. See your dentist instead. If you are not registered with one then call 111 to access the unscheduled dental care service.


Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website